Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Op og stå - vi elsker FC!


This past week I got to experience the most European of European experiences - a football game. 


It was F. C. København versus Brøndby IF. I think I was supposed to be rooting for F.C.K., since they represent central Copenhagen while Brøndby is from one of the suburbs. My Danish Language professor tried to explain the rivalries to us, but it is one of those things that are only clear to those who live here. 

The game started well, with all of the ritual behaviors that are associated with sports (such as the F.C.K. fans singing their team song, set to the tune of I Don’t Like Mondays). It progressed nicely with F.C.K. getting two goals, one a penalty kick. However, about three-fourths into the game I stopped paying attentntion to the players and started watching the riot that broke out in the Brøndby fan section.



After starting the evening by pitching flares around the seats and at the F.C.K. goalie, there was lots of shouting and jumping up and down, then more flares, then some bright spots that were suspiciously flame-colored. Suddenly there was a burst of activity as people were trying to get away from the people in the neon vests that suddenly appeared. The game ended without anyone paying attention to the players, and as I left I noticed the scores of police officers patrolling the neighborhood. 


I heard later that the evening resulted in a F.C.K. win 2-0, 39 arrests, 58 injuries, and about 600,000 kroner worth of damage to the stadium. Fortunately, this doesn't happen at every game. There must have been something else going on that intensified the rivalry, although I'm not sure as to what it might be. 


Besides the riot, the experience was very similar to an American sports event: overpriced food, lots of shouting, and sticky floors. I got some "F. C. København Snacks" that turned out to be "snacks med baconsmag." They actually ended up being pretty good. So I can cross "eat bacon-flavored snacks at a Danish football game and watch a fight break out amongst the fans" off my list of things to do abroad! 

No comments:

Post a Comment